Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Chuyện Ngụ ngôn thời nay
Vũ Thị Thiên Thư
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2008 4:00:00 PM(UTC)
Vũ Thị Thiên Thư

Groups: Administrators
Woman

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 84 post(s)

Thiên Thư đọc được bài Ngụ Ngôn nầy rất lý thú , nên gởi vào đây chia sẻ với các chị em

A Tale of Two Jungles

Author’s note: This story is fashioned after the Fables of La Fontaine, and Animal Farm, by George Orwell, where animals take on human characteristics and behave just like us. All characters in this story are fictional and only the product of the author’s imagination. Should readers find any resemblances or similarities to real people and events, they are beyond the author’s control and intentions.
Joanne Gibbon

Once upon a time, in a deep jungle called Forestia, lived some aging animals. Because their young had grown and had since left the family abode, the elder animals grew quite lonely. They also got weaker, and could no longer defend themselves and their territories against aggressive younger herds. So they decided to ban together and congregate in a secluded, wild, rocky knoll, and called it the Reserve. There, they lived together, hunting and living out the rest of their days in peace, or so they hoped.

The leader of the animals was Mountain Lion. Mountain Lion was generous at heart, and courageous. He was the natural leader of the group because of his outspoken nature and indomitable personality. A defender of justice, he set out to protect the weak and the innocent. He also was the titular head of the Reserve in dealings with other herds. Even handed and stable, he led the Reserve through some happy and prosperous times. As the number of animals grew steadily throughout the years, now some rules and regulations were needed to keep peace in the Reserve. For example, lately, acorns and nuts had been stolen from the pantry of some squirrels, leaving them unprepared for the upcoming winter. Some honey hives had been destroyed out of pure malice, leaving the bears vulnerable before the hibernation season. The common kitchen reserves were depleted without being replenished. So Mountain Lion imposed some basic rules: you can only eat the food that you hunted or gathered yourself. And you have to bring a little reserve into the community pantry, to save for a rainy day and to feed those who could not feed themselves. This was only to protect the common good of the Reserve, because some older and sicker animals could not fend for themselves, and therefore had to be cared for by the Reserve. Sometime when the community pantry got low because of human poaching and wars, Mountain Lion went to his own pantry and fed the herd. He did this without calculation, only because he felt it was his duty as Reserve Chief.

Mountain Lion

Now Sly Fox did not like the new rules. A very intelligent and cunning animal, he always found a way to get the most food for himself with the least effort on his part. With the new rules, he would have to work for food, which was against his nature. Also, he would appear to be abiding by rules imposed by Mountain Lion, which was even more against his nature. By virtue of his intelligence, he felt he ought to be Reserve Chief, instead of Mountain Lion. Of course, the other animals always went to him for advice if they ran into a problem of their own. But if a decision had to be made that would affect the well-being of the Reserve, then they always deferred to Mountain Lion.

So Sly Fox called Black Hyena on his cell phone and conferred with him.

― “That you, Black Hyena, how have you been?”

― “Thanks for asking, Sly Fox, but I’ve never been better. What’s up?”

― “Black Hyena, I have a proposition for you. How would you like to be rid of your worst enemy, Inscrutable Lynx?”

Now everyone in the Reserve knew about the long-standing rivalry and animosity (curious choice of words isn’t it, since they were all animals?) between Black Hyena and Inscrutable Lynx. It originated from some obscure and ancient dispute over some silly argument, the reason of which neither of them could remember. It was also common knowledge that Black Hyena would jump at any excuse to kick Inscrutable Lynx out of the Reserve. Upon hearing from Sly Fox about a plan that would rid the Reserve and himself of his archenemy, of course Black Hyena was all ears.

― “Sly Fox, please speak. What do you have in mind?”

― “Black Hyena, don’t be so loud. Needless to say, this is top secret, OK? Now how would you like to be Reserve Chief?”

― “Me? Sly Fox? Reserve Chief?”

― “Yes, you, Black Hyena, Reserve Chief. As Reserve Chief, you can do
anything you please. You wouldn’t have to hunt for your own food if you don’t want to. And you can admit anyone you like into the Reserve. And guess what? You can kick anyone OUT of the Reserve if you so choose. No reason needed, no questions asked.”

Black Hyena was already seeing him as Reserve Chief, proud and powerful, lording over all the animals. Moreover, he was seeing Inscrutable Lynx out of the Reserve for good, out of sight, out of mind.

― “But how, Sly Fox? What about Mountain Lion? What reason do we have to depose him?”

― “Reason? You don’t need a reason. Here is what you DO.”

So Sly Fox whispered into Black Hyena’s ears through the cell phone. After a few minutes, Black Hyena smiled, smug and content. The Plan could not fail. All the while, Sly Fox was laughing under his breath at Black Hyena’s naïveté. As if I will let the dumb mutt become Reserve Chief. Yeah right, over my dead body.

That evening, as was his customs, Mountain Lion was making the rounds of the Reserve. This was one of his duties he enjoyed the most. It gratified him to walk freely about the Reserve, converse with his herd, sharing bits of laughter or food with them. He felt content, at peace. This was his family, his friends. He would have done anything for them, and he was sure that given a chance, they would have done anything for him. What more could one ask for?

As he turned around a treacherous rocky ledge, all of the sudden, he felt a searing pain on his ankle. He turned, and saw a pack of vicious, hateful hyenas,

Hyena attacking Lion

led by no other than Black Hyena . They pulled him down, bit him on the flesh, tore at his clothes, and knocked him down over and over. He felt punched by Black Hyena himself. He fought back the best he could. After all, he was Mountain Lion, and they were but a pack of coward hyenas. But they had the advantage of numbers on him, and he felt he was losing strength as the battle wore on. He was bleeding profusely, and numb with pain. He did not feel anything as they pulled bits of pink flesh from him and he heard his bones crack. All he cared about was to get out of this inane attack, and he will deal with them later. As this was in a deserted part of the Reserve, he thought he was alone in his fight. But no, as he turned, he saw quite an assembly there, watching him fight for his life.

There was Talkative Parrot, also dubbed the Discourser, because he always had a theory about everything in life. Last year when Talkative Parrot was ill and could not gather twigs for his nest, Mountain Lion sent Twila, his wife, over with bunches of dry leaves and dried worms for Parrot’s pregnant wife.

There was Big Baboon, also dubbed the Monk, because he was trying to understand the meaning of life through prayers and meditation. Big Baboon and Mountain Lion had often shared a meal of bananas and coconut milk, and discussed current events and politics.

There was Merry Meerkat, also dubbed Doc, because he was always concocting herbal remedies from herbs and plants for everyone in the Reserve. Only recently, he had donated wood from his clearing to build a dam for Merry Meerkat’s colony.

There was Burly Bear, whom he often let forage into his own land to look for honey hives.

There was Stuttering Toucan, who liked to discuss the pitfalls of politics and how to deal with other herds. He had looked the other way when Stuttering Toucan ventured into the common clearing to poach eggs.

Even Wise Owl, the “Teacher”, was there, watching from his high perch. Wise Owl taught him the art of government when he first became leader of the Reserve.

Together, they all had shared a portion of his life with him. They were all his friends, he thought, so why were they not doing anything to stop the hyenas from attacking him? Could they not see that he could lose his breath at any moment? Just then, Noisy Monkey sounded the alarm from the tree tops:

― “Attack! Attack in the Reserve! Mountain Lion down! SOS!”

Noisy Monkey

Upon hearing the strident screams, Musical Ears Elephant, Lofty Eagle, Singing Elk, Rotund Raccoon, Wily Coyote, along with Hip Hippo, Gracious Gazelle, and Chirpy Chipmunk, came out en masse of the den and marched toward the hyenas. Seeing that they were being outnumbered, and that their plan to put Mountain Lion out of commission once for all had been brought to light, Black Hyena gave the signal for his acolytes to retreat safely into the mountain cave. Mountain Lion, hurt in his heart and his body, tottered back to his den. He did not know which hurt him more, his bodily wounds, or the realization that whom he thought were his friends were just there as spectators. No one came to his rescue, no one even tried to stop the attack. They just stood there, detached, as if a stranger was fighting for his life. When he passed them by, looking at each one of them, they looked away, avoiding his eyes. After he left, they too, walked slowly back to their dens, shoulders stooped, heads down.

The next day, still throbbing from his injuries, Mountain Lion announced his edict:

― “To restore peace to the Reserve, I have to apply strong measures. Any revolt or rebellion will be put out mercilessly. If you are not happy in the Reserve, feel free to leave. But if you decide to stay, I will expect you to follow my rules. Is that clear? Now I know who was behind my attack. Black Hyena was the hand that hit me, but Sly Fox was the mastermind. From now on, I do not consider those two as my friends anymore. Please remove yourself from my Reserve!”

He looked at the animals one by one. Singing Elk stepped out and denounced the cowardly attack:

― “Mountain Lion is my friend. Those who attack him, attack me. They will have to answer for their cowardly actions!”

Even Inscrutable Lynx came down from the mountain and asked:

― “Where were Mountain Lion’s friends when he needed them?”

Inscrutable Lynx

The rest of the pack just stayed silent, not looking at Mountain Lion nor themselves. The Discourser, usually so talkative, remained quiet. He did not condemn the attack, nor inquire about Mountain Lion’s injuries. Big Baboon, ever the Philosopher and Monk, offered a platitude:

― “All is well that finishes well! Life in The Reserve will go on!”

Not a single word against the despicable action that took place against his friend.

The next day, unexpectedly, Black Hyena called a general meeting, and announced:

― “My dear friends, I was wrong when I attacked Mountain Lion. I see now that I was misled, and regret my actions. I hurt Mountain Lion deeply, and in the process, I hurt myself. Now others see myself for what I really am, a scumbag!“

Mountain Lion was still very hurt from the attack, but he did not want the strife to prolong any further, and thus poison the atmosphere in the Reserve. So he answered:

― “Thank you my friends, for being here. Black Hyena, I acknowledge your apology!”

Big Baboon said:

― “Thank you Black Hyena, for your public statement. It takes a lot of courage on your part!”

Merry “Doc” Meerkat chimed in:

― “I am just so glad that we’re friends again. Well done, Black Hyena. I am proud of you!”

“Musical Ears” Elephant stated:

― “Certainly. Friendship is such a fragile thing. If we do not value it, it will go away. And then what will we have left? Isn’t it right, Wise Owl?”

Wise Owl Teacher, who had kept silent throughout the whole proceedings, now reluctantly acknowledged:

― “Very well said, ‘Musical Ears’ Elephant. Now that the storm is over, let’s just celebrate!”

Upon hearing those rejoinders, Mountain Lion proudly away back to the highest rock in the Reserve, and looked down on his pack. An infinite sadness filled his heart. These were his friends, his brothers. He would have given his arm for them. What had he done wrong for them to turn against him so? He did not expect anything better from Sly Fox nor Black Hyena, but what about Discourser Parrot and Big Baboon? What about Wise Owl Teacher himself? No one had said a single word against the savage attack on his body and his pride. In fact his wounds were still very open and would take a long time to heal. Yet they were congratulating Black Hyena as if he were a folk hero. Somehow, he felt a sense of betrayal. In the far, a lone bugle sounded a mournful note.

What about Sly Fox? He did not say anything about Mountain Lion’s very public accusation against him. He retreated even further to his den, and plotted, which was what he did best. It was rumored that Slick Vulture was seen in his company shortly after that. What those two talked about, was anyone’s guess.

Slick Vulture

Two days later, again on one of his evening rounds, Mountain Lion was stopped by Slick Vulture, who circled around him, as if he was a carcass. He deployed his wings, ready to pound and attack and tear open the scabbed wounds. Suddenly from nowhere, Inscrutable Lynx jumped in front of Slick Vulture and warned him:

― “I know what you’re about to do. I wouldn’t if I were you. You’re not a
member of the Reserve, so Mountain Lion wouldn’t be as lenient toward you as he was with Black Hyena!”

Inscrutable Lynx then darted back to the mountain where he came from and disappeared.

Slick Vulture thought about the warning, and looked back at Mountain Lion. He was hurt all over, it was true, his wounds still bleeding and oozing pus, but he was very much alive. He did not think he could finish off a fighting lion, why did Sly Fox tell him Mountain Lion was near death? Stupid of him for believing Sly Fox, he should have known better. Upon which, he flew back to the dead tree which was his nest.

So peace once more was restored to the Reserve in Forestia. An uneasy truce reigned, each member watching the others closely. Their carefree innocence of youth (even though they were young no longer) was replaced by a cautious resignation. They all felt they had lost something in the process.

Wise Owl Teacher, Discourser Parrot, Big Baboon, felt they had lost the respect of their peers, and themselves. They had the chance to speak up against evil, and they had looked the other way. Why didn’t they? No one will ever know for sure, least of all they. Was it the fear of losing their popularity? Or the fear of displeasing someone? In their quest of seeking everyone’s approval, they found none. Black Hyena and Slick Vulture had been unmasked as being Sly Fox’s accessories. They could no longer carry out his dark machinations. What about “Musical Ears” Elephant, and Merry “Doc” Meerkat and Burly Bear and the rest of the pack? They too could and should have said something, but they chose the path of the least resistance. They succumbed to apathy. They too will have to live with the consequence of their silence.

Sly Fox’s plots had been uncovered and exposed to light. Even though he was still a member of the Reserve (for Mountain Lion did not have the heart to force him out), he chose not to participate in the communal pantry and food reserve. He hunted for food and ate solitarily. True to his nature, he will continue to plot and connive. But who will carry out his evil deeds next time? Mountain Lion lost some of his faith in his fellow animals. Those whom he used to think of as his friends turned out to be mere acquaintances. They had forsaken him in his hour of need. His trust in them and in the true meaning of friendship had been shaken to the core.

Through his ordeal, Mountain Lion learned that “a friend in need is a friend indeed”. That you should choose your friends wisely, for if you don’t, they may turn against you one day. That it is far better to have a true enemy than a false friend. For at least you could watch your enemy, whereas if you turn your back on your false friend, you may get stabbed in the back.

Joanne Gibbon
Fall * 2008

Vũ Thị Thiên Thư
#2 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2008 11:33:41 PM(UTC)
Vũ Thị Thiên Thư

Groups: Administrators
Woman

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 84 post(s)

[blue]Ngụ ngôn cuả Joanne Gibbon

Với lới viết dí dỏm và sâu sắc
Thiên Thư mang về mời cả nhà đọc....[/
blue]

A Day in the Life …

By Joanne Gibbon

Author’s note: This story is fashioned after the Fables of La Fontaine, and Animal Farm, by George Orwell, where animals take on human characteristics and behave just like us. All characters in this story are fictional and only the product of the author’s imagination. Should readers find any resemblances or similarities to real people and events, they are beyond the author’s control and intentions.

After the thwarted coup d’etat against Mountain Lion last month, peace resumed once again in the reserve called Forestia.

Forestia and its denizens

All the animals who chose to make their home at Forestia came from another reserve, Vicenza. Some thirty years ago, Vicenza was violently taken over by a tyrant government, the commeatshits. Now almost all the animals in Forestia still had families and relatives in Vicenza. The condition there was dismal at best. Food was not shared with the weak and the sick as in Forestia. Instead, it was hoarded by the strongest and fittest. They built themselves strongholds in the rocky mountains and hid their lootings there. They gorged themselves til they threw up; they held orgies in caves while the rest of the reserve starved to death. The animals could not live and hunt freely where they thought best for them. Those who opposed the ruler were confined in grottoes to rot. They had to share their meager hunting with the ruler, who got fatter and fatter, while they barely could feed themselves. The sick and the young had to hunt and meet their daily quota, no matter how weak they were. Those who did not bring in their daily catch, had to go without eating. Those too sick and old who collapsed on the trail, their remains were thrown over the cliff without a thought.

Aline the Peacock

One day a white peacock came and visited Vicenza. She was beautiful, young and gracious. She came from a far away reserve, called Sweetzland. Upon seeing a sick fawn dying on the side of the road, she nursed her back to life with food she begged from other animals. No one could refuse a plea from such a gracious peacock. The animals in Vicenza had not seen anything as white, as pure, as ethereal as Aline the Peacock in their lifetime. Soon she made it her mission to build shelters for sick and old animals who could not take care of themselves. In order to accomplish that, she needed wood and food. She had to ask for donations from other animals in Vicenza. But who would help her? Most of the animals there could not feed their families and themselves, much less give to a stranger, however noble her cause may be. The animals who ruled the reserve swam in their own excesses. Food overflowed in their pantries, but they would never part with it. They much rather see it rot in their caves than to help their weaker counterparts. So Aline saw no other alternative but to beg help from other reserves. As soon as she formed a plan to organize a food drive, she was called in by the ruler of Vicenza, Warty Warthog:

- So Aline, what’s this I hear about you wanting to go ask for food ?

Yes, Honorable Warthog. But it’s not for me.
No? Whom is it for then? For me maybe?
No, Honorable Warthog. It’s for the poor creatures out there, such as Bambi the Fawn, Hoppity Rabbit, and Skippy Chimp. They are sickly, and could not gather their own food.

Warty Warthog

Warty Warthog squinted his beady eyes and slowly asked:

Now Aline, do I sense an indirect accusation against me? Are you saying I cannot feed my own people, or worse, that I don’t care for them?
Perish the thought, Honorable Warthog. I would never dare to suggest such an outrageous idea. But nevertheless, here it is: I believe that if I go to other reserves to ask for donations to care for the sick and old, who could refuse such a request? In no time, we can build new shelters and food pantries and care for all the sick and old animals in Vicenza.

Warty Warthog did not attain the high position of ruler of Vicenza for nothing. After all, he was head of all the commeatshits, the most cunning and vile of them all. In his head, he ran some quick calculations and smiled , satisfied with himself. He had found a scheme to get even richer by laundering food and wood derivatives, and get back at his archenemy, Mountain Lion, in the process.

So he asked :

Aline, so you really want to go begging for me? You’d do that?
Honorable Warthog, I just want to help those poor creatures out there. If it means begging, then I’ll do it.
You know that there’ll be some taxes to pay. Cost of maintaining this reserve you know. Everything is so expensive these days.
Honorable Warthog, yes, I understand that.
Good, as long as we are on the same page. Whatever you get, you will pay 90% of it to my treasury. You get to keep 10% for your protégés out there, God knows they’re a bunch of lazies who don’t need no help at all.

The astronomical percentage staggered Aline, who expected to pay around 30% max. But what could she do? This is Warthog’s territory, and he could do whatever he wanted. He could even send her packing and she did not want that. Reluctantly, she agreed:

Okay then, Honorable Warthog. 90% of whatever I will collect will go into your fund. Cost of government.
Oh wait, but that’s not all. When you get to Forestia, here’s what you do.

And the corpulent stinking Warthog whispered into the ears of the fair, maiden white peacock Aline. She was flabbergasted when she heard his plan. She backed out of the cave slowly, while he threw his head back and laughed aloud. The echo of his bellow resonated in all Vicenza. It carried such a malicious venom that all the animals went hiding in their nests or caves.

Forestia on a sunny day

Aline the Peacock trotted all the way to Forestia. It was an arduous journey but she did not mind because she thought of the mission ahead. She carried messages from the Vicenza animals to their families who were lucky enough to emigrate to Forestia, before Warthog took over the entire reserve.

When she got to Forestia, she was given a hero’s welcome. The other animals marveled at such a pretty, beautiful young peacock from Sweetzland who was selfless and generous enough to care for the sick and old animals in Vicenza. They poured their hearts out to her, and gave and gave. Food and wood were heaped on two carts, so much that two burly bears were recruited to help carry those donations back to Vicenza. Everybody in Forestia was happy and glad that finally they were able to help the needy back in Vicenza. Life had treated them well in Forestia, and they felt bad that their families in Vicenza were still suffering and did not have enough to eat. When it was time to leave, they gathered in the reserve square, the Circle of Life, and gave Aline a farewell fit for a princess. There were dancers and singers and music and food and wine, and a big campfire to warm their hearts. But before the festivities could begin, there was the reserve anthem to salute, and everybody stood at attention in front of the Forestia flag, which was the symbol of the old Vicenza.

Former Vicenza flag

Here, Aline the Peacock stopped the music and whispered into Merry Meekat’s and Dentist Macaw’s ears. Mountain Lion was away on an official visit to another reserve, so these two acted on his behalf.

Gentlemen, I appreciate what you’ve done here for me and for the unfortunate creatures back in Vicenza. But I cannot in good conscience stand in front of your flag.
Oh? Why not?
No offense meant of course. But it’s just that I am not into politics. This is strictly a charity event. So if you don’t mind, I’d rather not participate. No flag for me.

Merry Meerkat and Dentist Macaw looked at each other. Hmm, they had not expected this. Mountain Lion was not here so they had to make the decision themselves, something they were not used to do.

What you say, DM?
I’d say, there’ll be hell to pay when Mountain Lion gets back. But he ain’t here now.
That’s right, he ain’t here now. We run this place and what we say is law.
No flag ceremony? Mountain Lion will have a fit.
Bah! What harm can it do? It’s only a piece of cloth you know. I don’t see the big deal.
Yeah, no big deal. Look at her, Aline. Isn’t she pretty and innocent? So good and kind to take care of the little ones in Vicenza. Look at her tail, so smooth and wide and such dark velvety eyes. Hate to see her sad.
Would you stop looking at her, old goat?

So Merry Meerkat, also called Doc, and Dentist Macaw (because he liked to collect rotten teeth to wear as a necklace), also called DM for short, announced to the crowd gathered around the Circle of Life:

Hear ye, hear ye! Pretty Miss Aline here does not want to bow in front of our flag, she said. So we’ll skip the flag ceremony.

The crowd echoed in a chorus:

No flag ceremony? But why ever not? Just because she said so?

Soon a bunch of inquisitive chimps and lemurs gathered around Aline the Peacock and asked:

You came here as a visitor. We welcome you as a friend. Why do you refuse to stand in front of our flag?
Our flag is most sacred to us. If you reject our flag, you reject the ideals for which we came here.
Does this mean you are a commeatshit too? Has Warthog converted you?
Are you one of “them”?
At Forestia, do as the Forestians do. You should show your respect to our reserve and your appreciation for us by standing in front of our flag.
So you only believe in receiving, and not giving?

Lemmesee Lemurs

Dentist Macaw interrupted the cacophony of the angry apes:

All of you put together are not worth one Miss Aline. You’re not even fit to wipe her beak. And all you do is run your mouth against Warthog anyway, which any mealy mouthed half wit can do. Why don’t you shut your clam?

At that moment, a resourceful lemur went online and printed a picture of Aline the Peacock standing in front of Warthog, and bowing to HIS flag. He waived the picture for all to see. The Circle of Life was quiet all of a sudden, and slowly, the crowd moved closer and closer to Aline …. She stepped back.

To her credit, faced with an increasingly hostile mob of chimps and lemurs, Aline the Peacock did not waver nor cower. She answered calmly:

Gentlemen, please understand my position. My mission is purely charitable. I am here for one thing and one thing only: money. I am apolitical.

Noisy Monkey raised her voice:

Apolitical? But surely Warthog wouldn’t go for that. Aren’t you here as his emissary? If that’s not political, then I don’t know what is …

At that point, seeing that the situation was getting out of hand and turning unfavorable for Aline Peacock, Merry Meerkat and Dentist Macaw shooed everyone out of sight and called off the party.

And so that was how Aline Peacock was able to get away from Forestia with all the donated food and wood, without having to pay respect to the flag that stood for everything that they fought for and lost.

Mountain Lion

The next day, after Aline the Peacock had departed Forestia, Mountain Lion came back from his trip and learned of the facts. He was livid when told that Aline refused to participate in the flag ceremony, and got away with the loots to boot.

So he called an assembly meeting in the Circle of Life. This time, there was no music, no dance, no food. Only Mountain Lion’s ire to contend with.

Mountain Lion looked at his troop one by one and shook his head:

Can someone explain to me what happened?

Before either Merry Meerkat or Dentist Macaw could say anything, Mickey Wildebeest volunteered his opinion:

Mountain Lion, Aline Peacock was very courteous and respectful. She did not lose her calm and composure at all.

One of the lemurs interjected:

- Well you know, if I were begging, I wouldn’t lose my composure either.

Odius the Ostrich got angry and his neck reddened like a poppy:

Actually, I am amazed at her poise. She did not react at all when everybody here jumped up and down and questioned her motives. No. The word here is interrogated her. She could have refused to answer; instead, she answered every question completely and calmly. Everybody was so rude to her, I am still embarrassed for our behavior.

When he finished talking, Odius the Ostrich hid his head between his legs to show his discontent. That was his favorite posture, and the common joke in the reserve was: how can he see and think clearly if his head is buried where the sun does not shine?

Not to be left out, Mickey Wildebeest added pompously:

Since when does the collector of charity contribution have to pay respect to the flag or to the political beliefs of the donor? Moreover, the collector has every right to refuse the donation. I am sick and tired of all this political fanaticism!

Having said that, all eyes were upon him. Profitable Puma raised his eyebrows:

Who are you? Aren’t you from the New Trail Reserve?

Singing Elk spoke up for the first time:

Don’t you know that out of respect for the host, it is common courtesy for the guest has to abide by the customs and traditions of the host? You speak like a Warthog cohort!

Merry Meerkat

Merry Meerkat, seeing that all the hoopla and ado were partly his fault, tried to calm his friends:

My friends, what’s done is done. We should all forget about Aline the Peacock. From now on, let’s not mention her name. No more arguing. In the name of friendship, let’s shake paws, kiss each other’s tail, and make up. I don’t want this Reserve to go to pots.

Max the Giraffe, ever the arbitrator of arguments, intervened:

Mr. Wildebeest, I don’t know which reserve you’re from. As a guest of Forestia, you should not have advanced your opinion about our internal discussions. I agree with Singing Elk. You sound like an acolyte of Warthog, our archenemy. Let’s not forget that because of the atrocities that he committed, we are here today, in exile here in Forestia, instead of being home at Vicenza. That goes for all of us here, including yourself.

Black Hyena

Black Hyena, still sore from his altercation with Mountain Lion last month, did not let an opportunity pass to discredit him by causing dissent in the Reserve.

Why is everyone picking on poor Mickey? All he’s doing is express his opinion. Isn’t this supposed to be a democracy? Or is democracy only a sham? Do we have another dictatorship to advance one person’s agenda?
If that is the case, then let’s have it on the table for everyone to know!

Sly Fox, not to be outdone, declared:

Mickey Wildebeest is very smart. His knowledge is greater than mine tenfold. I have a lot of respect for him. He graduated from Cornucopia College (a well-respected Ivy League college where well-heeled animals go to learn survival skills).

Odius the Ostrich removed his head from between his legs and announced:

Collecting for a charity is not the same as begging. We should not have called Aline a beggar. We should accord her more respect for doing what she’s doing for the poor creatures in Vicenza.

But Odius the Ostrich missed the point completely. Why didn’t he feel any outrage or indignation at the fact that Aline refused to stand in front of the flag, the emblem of the old Vicenza’s identity, the symbol for everything all former Vicenza’s residents hold sacred? Instead, he was trying to excuse and defend her despicable behavior. The more he spoke, the deeper the hole he dug for himself. After all, what can one expect from an ostrich? His head was not in the right place, if you know what I mean.

Max the Giraffe

Max the Giraffe articulated with measure:

My friends, I have great respect for you. We are all here because we could not live in Vicenza under the dictatorship of Warthog. I respect your opinions, and your friendship means a great deal to me. But our resources here in Forestia are limited. We have to take care of our own first. It is my opinion that Mickey Wildebeest has overstayed his welcome and overstepped his boundary. I suggest that Mountain Lion, as head of our Reserve, remove him from the premises. As our guest, he is eating our food and living in a nice cave, but has shown a complete lack of consideration for our values.

The whole reserve was quiet all of a sudden. One could hear a fly. Everyone was holding their breath to see Mountain Lion’s reaction to Max the Giraffe’s request. Mountain Lion looked at everyone, nodded his head, and showed a thumb down sign. Mickey Wildebeest must go. Knowing he was defeated and that his cover was blown, Mickey left Forestia with his head down.

Mickey Wildebeest

After Mickey Wildebeest was gone, the animals who took his side, or who were against Mountain Lion, started talking at the same time.

Odius Ostrich lamented:

I deplore Wildebeest’s departure. If we can’t even express our opinion, what have we come to?

Sly Fox spoke for everyone to hear:

Mai phens, for the record, I want everyone to know that I am against Warthog. I am not a commeatshit.

Having said that, Sly Fox winked to his “phens” to show his sarcasm and his disdain for Mountain Lion’s policy.

Big Baboon

Big Baboon just said:

Is that so?

DM Dentist Macaw wondered:

If Mickey got kicked out for being just a guest of Forestia, and not a bona fide member, I know of at least two other guests who should be on their way out too. And one of them has the nasty habit of sticking her nose in our business, which annoys me no end. Why isn’t she kicked out too?

Dentist Macaw (DM)

Merry Meerkat concurred:

Wily, I am with you. That one guest that you mentioned should not be among us. Always criticizing us members. Who needs a guest like that?

Big Baboon just said:

- Is that so?

Max the Giraffe wisely reminded them:

Too bad. I know what you mean, but those two are related to members of the Reserve. In fact, they are members in their own right, not guests. So they stay, and you better get used to it.

Big Baboon just said:

- Is that so?

Black Hyena puffed ill-humoredly:

I know Mickey got kicked out for opening his mouth. If he had kept it shut, he would still be among us. I know Mountain Lion has a personal axe to grind with Warthog, and he’s using this reserve to further his own agenda.

Big Baboon just said:

Is that so?

Merry Meerkat proudly exclaimed:

DM and I, we will create a new reserve of our own. Then we can all leave Forestia and live in the new reserve. I will be a fair and just leader. Ain’t that right, DM?

Dentist Macaw laughed heartily:

- Merry, I will be the leader of the new reserve, not you. I will be chief!

No, I will be chief! It will be my reserve!

Slick Vulture, who some time ago chose to leave the reserve of his own accord, could not help chiming in from atop a nearby tree:

The (Vicenza) flag is Mountain Lion’s trademark. Lo and behold he who dares trample it! Hats off to our freedom fighter par excellence!

Having said that, he bowed low and performed a pirouette on his two skinny legs to show the irony of his words.

A lemur bobbed his head and remarked:

- Slicky, the flag is OUR trademark, not just Mountain Lion’s. And you should not mock those who stand up for it. It’s sacred, in case you didn’t know. And what are you doing here anyway? Did anyone ask you in?

Voices rose, tempers heated up, sparks flew. Max the Giraffe was the only one to keep his cool and his head:

Wait a minute. Aren’t we all supposed to be against Warthog? Isn’t he our common enemy, and not Mountain Lion? Let’s not fight each other anymore, or we’d play right into Warthog’s hand, who would like nothing more than to see us at odds with each other. For as long as we fight among ourselves, we are not fighting him.

Noisy Monkey

At that point, Noisy Monkey climbed down from the trees to distribute flyers fresh off the press. Curious, everyone clamored to see what she was giving out.

Mountain Lion asked me to give each of you this paper. It is Resolution 36, as promulgated by Warty Warthog himself.
What is Resolution 36? Do we have to read it? It’s so long and boring!
For those of you too lazy or ignorant to read it, you can ask Max the Giraffe, who knows everything.

So Max the Giraffe sighed, and explained patiently:

Resolution 36 is nothing more than a set of policies set by Warty Warthog on how to deal with us expatriates of Vicenza. He wants to sow discord among us, so he can better control us to his advantage by milking as much food and wood from us as he can. And, he does not want us to talk politics. Safer for him that way.

Upon hearing that, everyone looked at each other. They realized they had been had by Warty Warthog and his fair maiden Aline Peacock. She came and she went, taking away with her their precious food and wood which they had worked so hard for. In her wake, she had left hate and animosity among them as a souvenir.

In an instant, they forgot all about their disagreement and recriminations against Mountain Lion. Instead, they focused their wrath on Warty Warthog . Wasn’t it enough that he had driven them out of their own reserve, taken over the entire territory for his own benefit? Now he wanted to extend his long arm and control them in Forestia too? The heck with him! They will not let that happen. May he burn in hot lava forever! So they all shook paws, kissed each other’s tails, and made up. Long live friendship!

They realized then that if they don’t stick together, Warty Warthog will divide them and conquer. That it is better to disagree with your own friends that to agree with your enemy. That as a group, they are invincible. One tree will not a mountain hide, but three trees will form a forest that blankets the entire mountain.

Once more, peace was restored to Forestia. From afar, one can hear sounds of laughter, guitar strumming, singing, campfire crackling well into the night…

Forestia in sunset

Joanne Gibbon